Queenstown Lakes District Council - Wanaka - Otago
Town Custodian and Gardener Supervisor
We currently have an opportunity for a determined Gardening and Custodian Supervisor to bring their best and be part of the QLDC vision serving the Wanaka Community, visitors from New Zealand and abroad. This role is Monday – Friday with the occasional weekend due to the team operating seven days a week.
Based in Wanaka, this hands on role takes responsibility for leading a small and dedicated team which is responsible for the daily presentation of this iconic Town not only for the many National and International visitors but most importantly the people that call Wanaka home.
This includes maintenance and development of amenity gardens, green space assets, CBD Hygiene, commercial cleaning duties all to ensure the town centre is kept to a high level of presentation.
Your positive sphere of influence in this hands on role includes Wanaka, Albertown, and Hawea. You will be responsibility for day to day operations. Developing work programs, ensuring priorities are maintained, requests for services are carried out on time, manage, motivate and inspire their staff.
You will have experience in commercial gardening with a clear understanding of horticultural best practices coupled with excellent communication and relationship building skills. You will have demonstrated experience with staff mentoring, management, development and training.
Reporting to the Team leader of Parks Delivery, the Supervisor will develop and implement and manage daily and seasonal work programmes.
- Recognised qualification in amenity horticulture or landscape gardening
- Proven track record in hard landscaping skills
- 5+ years’ experience in commercial amenity horticulture leading teams
- Demonstrated planning and organisational skills with an excellent eye for detail.
- Have utilised GIS systems and other related work platforms
- Able to deliver change and communicate that to the team that you will lead while engaging and promoting feedback
- Innovative and be willing to pro-actively be a part of improving the way we do things
- Comprehensive knowledge of plant pests and their control, together with agri-chemicals, their application, storage, best practice and legal requirements
- Experienced in managing and maintaining irrigation systems.
- Conveys a professional and positive image, with a courteous and efficient manner.
- Highly motivated, achievement-oriented professional
- Experience in effective communication and liaison with community organisations.
- Able to help this team grow in its scope of works
- Able to Get the best out of your people
- Competitive market remuneration
- Career progression and training opportunities
- Subsidised Health Insurance
- Regular working hours
- Discounted health and fitness club rates at our great facilities
For more information on this role, or to apply, please visit www.qldc.govt.nz/jobs
Applications close 31 May 2019