SPCA - South Auckland - Auckland
Contract: Permanent part-time role
Hours: 28 hours per fortnight
Location: SPCA Auckland
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand. We have a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare, which we have been doing this since 1872.
We are looking for a part-time farm animal attendant to be a dedicated member of the SPCA Auckland farm team in Mangere. This is an interesting and challenging role that would best suit someone who enjoys variety, physical work and using their initiative. The successful applicant will work on a part-time basis working up to 28hrs per fortnight, this will require working alternate weekends and availability on some public holidays is also required.
The role consists of: caring for farm animals (horses, pigs, goats, sheep, poultry etc.); cleaning pens and feeding animals; medically treating any incoming welfare cases; talking to the public with regards to animal adoptions and farm animal related queries.
This is a sole charge role, under written and verbal supervision of a team leader with volunteers to assist.
Our ideal Candidate will:
- Have practical animal-handling experience and knowledge, specifically relating to farm animals.
- Equine experience and knowledge specific to handling, transporting and general care.
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills, with the ability to handle conflict situations and a friendly and positive attitude.
- Be a self-motivated team player, who is enthusiastic and passionate about animal welfare.
- Have the confidence and knowledge to give direction to staff and volunteers.
- Be a quick thinker who is skilled at multi-tasking.
- Have a flexible approach to the hours of work, and be able to prioritise and effectively manage workloads.
- Have excellent computer skills.
- Demonstrate empathy and resilience
- Physically fit and willing to work outside in all weather conditions
- Have the ability to work in a fast paced environment and must have a love for working with both people and animals.
- Hold a full, current New Zealand driver's licence.
Are you committed to the values of the SPCA? Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now!
Applications without a cover letter will NOT be considered.
Applications close Thursday 25th April 2019.